POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: John VanSickle
Date: 6 Dec 2010 16:21:14
Message: <4cfd53ca$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/5/2010 9:08 AM, Warp wrote:
>    If you have an xbox360, you should check the arcade game named Limbo.
> (Try to avoid spoilers. The beginning can be played for free, so it's not
> like you are losing anything.)
>
>    Roger Ebert has famously stated that in his opinion video games can never
> be art. Even after reading his essays on the subject I still can't understand
> his rationale.

His rationale is that he is employing a subjective definition of the
term "art."  By his definition, a work is only art if it is pleasing to him.

He makes his living by presenting himself as an authority on art, with a
sense of discernment that is superior to ours.  But since there can
never be an objective reason for why one person's subjective opinion
should be regarded as superior to another's, he position is inherently
contradictory.  Which means we are justified in ignoring him.

Regards,
John