POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Dec 2010 15:40:59
Message: <4cfbf8db$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/5/2010 7:38 AM, nemesis wrote:
> Warp<war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
>> If you have an xbox360, you should check the arcade game named Limbo.
>
> yes, I heard it is very good.
>
> BTW, does it happen to be anything like this:
>
> http://www.comagame.net/
>
> I played this one before Limbo was announced, so I wonder if Limbo is an
> upgraded version for the XBox...
>
> and no, I wouldn't call these games arcade... they are more in the same vein as
> puzzle-platformers as (ancient) Prince of Persia or Another World...
>
>>    Roger Ebert has famously stated that in his opinion video games can never
>> be art. Even after reading his essays on the subject I still can't understand
>> his rationale. IMO Limbo is a good example of why he is wrong.
>
> Roger Ebert is full of BS.  Watching games is not the same as playing them.  I
> first realized games could be art when I would not pay attention to the score
> anymore...
>
> He's like one of those late 1800's drama critics dismissing cinema as a cheap
> toy medium...

He has, fairly obviously, never a) played games that have real stories
(which could stand as movies, if you yanked out the player interaction),
or b) gone to/heard of interactive art exhibits. That said, got one a
bit back through steam and my reaction was.. "Oh, good.. Another Myst
clone, which even the Myst team managed to make full 3D at one point,
and including even more horribly awkward turn arounds and confusing
steps to do things. 'Amnesia: Dark Descent', specifically. I mean, I
have played some others and not minded "much", but this one just annoyed
the hell out of me, for some reason.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {