POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The ups and downs of computing : Re: The ups and downs of computing Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ups and downs of computing
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Dec 2010 18:19:13
Message: <4cf97af1$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> wonders what the hell kind of testing they did while managing to miss
> this one...

Yeah, the same was true of the Eiffel compiler when I bought it. Eiffel, the
language for reliable software!

Anyway, chances are the person who tested it had already installed it and
wound up running it against a different file. It's the sort of thing that
happens when you've got a small shop instead of someone whose job it is to
spend extra time to make sure it works on a vanilla machine.

> Also: What about DLLs registered in the... registry?

That's not DLLs. That's COM classes stored in DLLs.

> Apparently the compiler's dead code elimination works quite well.

It's not hard if every function is in a separate .o blob.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: