POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The ups and downs of computing : Re: The ups and downs of computing Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ups and downs of computing
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Dec 2010 12:16:02
Message: <4cf925d2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> - The program doesn't actually /run/ any more. It can't find the
> necessary DLLs. It seems that /you/ have to manually copy them to
> somewhere sensible and/or alter the search path.

DLLs are searched the same place that .exes are searched, except with the
addition of the directory that the .exe is in, if there's also a magic file
that says "search this directory too" to circumvent DLL hell. :-)

> - These five DLLs add up to 8MB. (!)

Well, sure. Because you're not just selecting at link time the routines you
use.  If you have 30 Haskell programs installed, that's a net win.

> In summary, I don't think I'll rush out and use this feature anytime soon.

You should, so you can report on success and failure, and improve the
product. You *are* one of only 38 beta testers, after all.

> Also entertaining is the way that several new features of the compiler
> aren't accurately reflected in all of the documentation. (E.g., some
> chapters claim that shared libraries don't work on Windows, while others
> assert that they do...)

Welcome to open source, where by the time you're competent enough to fix the
documentation, you no longer need the documentation!

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: