POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : stripes in my color map : Re: stripes in my color map Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stripes in my color map
From: clipka
Date: 3 Dec 2010 09:09:25
Message: <4cf8fa15$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.12.2010 13:36, schrieb Joost:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if I am doing something wrong. I am seeing stripes in my air (a
> color map), as if the gradient isn't correct: gets a bit darker than lighter,
> than darker etc. in stead of a smooth transition form light blue to dark blue).
> A higher resolution (12000x8000) hasn't helped.

These are probably color-encoding artifacts: With 8 bit depth per color
channel you can display only so many different colors, and this gives
you banding in very smooth gradients which may still be noticeable.

Did you try a higher-quality output image format, such as OpenEXR or
16-bit PNG?

My favorite way of getting rid of these artifacts is to render to
OpenEXR, and then use IC to convert to the target 8-bit image format. As
IC uses dithering for such conversions, instead of the banding you'll
get 1-bit noise, which the human eye does not notice anymore.

(I already pondered adding native dithered output to POV-Ray, but
implementation will have to wait due to other priorities.)