POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again : Re: Gamma Again Server Time
30 Jun 2024 18:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Again
From: scott
Date: 3 Dec 2010 09:01:25
Message: <4cf8f835$1@news.povray.org>
> You know I never really tried actually putting a virtual filter on the POV
> camera. I've never really had to, what POV can simulate being so far from
> nature
> in all her glory, using, say a red filter to bring out the depth in
> clouds. It's
> hard enough just getting something that looks like a cloud. I've always
> used
> assumed_gamma as not just the easiest but only possible way of adjusting
> "curves", as they say, relative tonal values,

And what happens when one part of your scene (eg the clouds) requires a
different assumed_gamma than another part to look realistic?  Or you want to
use an object from the object library (or any other source) in your scene?
IMO it's far better to play about with the light values, media properties or
material properties to get the scene looking how you want.  That way you can
be sure it's going to render the same on any machine, and you will be free
to put external parts in to your scene.