POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again : Re: Gamma Again Server Time
30 Jun 2024 18:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Again
From: scott
Date: 3 Dec 2010 06:48:26
Message: <4cf8d90a$1@news.povray.org>
> Beating a dead horse here, but a comment on this point. Yes, POV, as it
> is, does
> allow such "filters". What concerns me in what appears to be the direction
> of
> the new release is that many of these techniques seem to be either
> deprecated or
> made so complicated and cumbersome to impliment they are in effect
> impossible to
> use.

What specifically has changed?  You've always been able to put objects in
front of the camera to mimic filters, in fact recently more features have
been added to the camera to give much more flexibility.

> Especially "assumed_gamma" which I consider essential to the process but
> which some here have described as a kind of cheap and quick artistic
> trick.

assumed_gamma is not meant to be used as an artistic tool, if you really
want such an effect then just do some post-processing in Photoshop the same
way you would with a real photo - it's much more flexible.