POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Poving Laptop. : Re: Poving Laptop. Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poving Laptop.
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Dec 2010 21:03:03
Message: <4cf84fd7$1@news.povray.org>
D103 wrote:
> Also, I have yet to finish high-school so my knowledge of computers and how they
> work is somewhat limited.

Back in high school I found in the library a wonderful text. It was a huge
hardback book about 3 or 4 cm thick.  It started with vacuum tubes, tube
diodes and triodes, then went into semiconductor tech, including what a
semiconductor *is*, how the doping affects its behavior, how a diode works,
an LED, a transistor, a thermistor, etc. Then into chips, how to make
transistors on a chip, how the doping is done, then gates from that.

I wish so much I remembered what that book is called. It taught me 90% of
what I know about hardware.

After that, the SAM'S book on the 8080 pretty much taught me the basics of
computer architecture, instruction sets, etc.

It's a shame in some ways that everything has gotten so complicated that you
wind up with either a quantum physics textbook or a "Teach Yourself
Microsoft Word in 24 hours" sort of book, and nothing really in between that
I know of.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: