POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Boat/river puzzle : Re: Boat/river puzzle Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boat/river puzzle
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 2 Dec 2010 12:11:43
Message: <4cf7d34f$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/2/2010 8:47 AM, Darren New wrote:
> Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> speed of the current matches the speed of the boat
>
> I think that means you never get to where you're going. Once the current
> carries you downstream, if you can't outrun the current, you're not
> going to get upstream again.

Precisely, but you can still calculate the curve that the boat follows,
and unless I'm mistaken it's a parabola (in this case restricted to x>0
rather than x>=0).  It's not strictly within the parameters of the
problem, but I mentioned it because I couldn't see how to derive the
full answer without some calculus, but I could get an answer for that
special case with just geometry.