POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again : Re: Gamma Again Server Time
2 Jul 2024 15:28:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Again
From: clipka
Date: 2 Dec 2010 11:47:13
Message: <4cf7cd91$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.12.2010 16:42, schrieb Stephen Klebs:
> "scott"<sco### [at] scottcom>  wrote:
>
>> Yes, it should be perfectly identical to if you'd set up the identical scene
>> in real life and taken a photo with a perfect camera.  This is the goal of
>> POV.
>
> Well, wake me up when you get there. I really want to see that. And even if you
> do get there, I'm not sure you will like what you see. I suggest you check a
> little article I read on how photographers like Ansel Adams had to use filers
> that I posted somewhere here.

That may well be, but a realistical simulation of the real world still
allows you to place such fill lights, like a photographer would, for
artistic purposes.

I guess in the long run POV-Ray may also end up supporting simulation of
different photographic paper and such.

As an aside:

> There was similar quest years back about using computers to imitate visual
> perception, that is, computers that see. And in the end, with all the variables
> that couldn't be computed, like size constancy and object recognition and such,
> they gave up.

Ever read about RoboCup, a convention where robot builders from all the
world come together to have their machines play soccer against one
another? Or the US military's contest of computer-driven cars (whatever
it was called)?

Forget about those people who gave up 10 years ago. Other people didn't,
and are getting quite far by now.