POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma Again : Re: Gamma Again Server Time
1 Jul 2024 15:14:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Again
From: clipka
Date: 30 Nov 2010 21:50:26
Message: <4cf5b7f2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.12.2010 02:32, schrieb Stephen Klebs:

>> No, it's your eye playing tricks on you.
>>
>> Our eyes are highly calibratible optical measurement tools - they work
>> as well at a brightness of 10% as at 1,000% (and then some), and get
>> object colors right regardless of lighting conditions.
>
> This is not correct. You only understand the physics of the optical system, but
> not the physiology nor the psychology. This is not how we see. You are talking
> as if you could see yourself seeing and you can not. What you are seeing is a
> model of how you think things appear. This is a very subtle and complex mystery.

I'm well aware that I'm simplifying here, but I'm not holding a lecture
in physiology nor psychology here - I'm merely making a point that
visual perception of brightness does not match physical brightness when
it comes to gradients.

I didn't know you had background knowledge in those areas; it really
didn't show in your approach to the gradients issue.