POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Climbing plants : Re: Climbing plants Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Climbing plants
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Nov 2010 08:49:37
Message: <4cf500f1$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/11/2010 01:45 PM, Mike Raiford wrote:

>> And yes, at this speed, you
>> can see that plants have "behaviour" just like animals do.
>
> It always amazed me to watch vines in time-lapse, you'll see it sprout a
> tendril, then the tendril will feel around for something to grasp, then
> snap to it and wrap itself tightly around its target. Amazing stuff ;)

Quite. You can see shoots squirm around, seeking the light. You can see
branches push enemy plants out of the way, and leaves vie for position
in the light. You can see creepers grasp things. There's even a kind of
ivy that feels around inside rock crevices and "plants" its own seeds.
Seen at this speed, plants behave every bit like animals.

Weird, freaky animals with infinite limbs and limitless capacity for growth.

It's kinda scary, actually... o_O