POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about the Big Bang : Re: Question about the Big Bang Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about the Big Bang
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Nov 2010 14:23:04
Message: <4ce82018$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Seriously, I think they think it has something to do with zero-point energy,
>> i.e., the fact that virtual particles will spontaneously come into existence
>> and then annihilate each other again.  I can't really say I understand it
>> beyond "it's something about quantum" (as Terry Pratchett would say)
>
>   Even if that explains the current expansions, would it explain the
> initial rapid inflation?

I don't think so, no. Certainly not if the whole quantum mess didn't even
start until after inflation. (I hadn't realized that "inflation" actually
happened that early and quickly until this conversation.)

>   Seemingly not, as there appears to be a hypothesis for a different particle
> that caused the cosmic inflation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflaton

Damn. Inflation ended when the universe was only one meter across? Yow.

> How can it cause the universe to expand faster than c?

Only if the actual energy turned into space, or something? I have nothing
buy BS guesses for that. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: