POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about the Big Bang : Re: Question about the Big Bang Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about the Big Bang
From: Warp
Date: 20 Nov 2010 14:17:20
Message: <4ce81ec0@news.povray.org>
> Seriously, I think they think it has something to do with zero-point energy,
> i.e., the fact that virtual particles will spontaneously come into existence
> and then annihilate each other again.  I can't really say I understand it
> beyond "it's something about quantum" (as Terry Pratchett would say)

  Even if that explains the current expansions, would it explain the
initial rapid inflation?

  Seemingly not, as there appears to be a hypothesis for a different particle
that caused the cosmic inflation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflaton

  I don't understand, however, how a particle would explain inflation
(or just the "normal" expansion of the universe), because such a particle
should be bound to the maximum speed limit of c, as any other particle.
How can it cause the universe to expand faster than c?

--
                                                          - Warp