POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about the Big Bang : Re: Question about the Big Bang Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:30:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about the Big Bang
From: Warp
Date: 19 Nov 2010 15:06:24
Message: <4ce6d8c0@news.povray.org>
Kenneth <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Something I've always wondered about (and which I've never been able to find an
> answer to, in any layman's science book) is this: If space expands (not just the
> space *between* objects, but space itself), then at what scale, what microscopic
> level, does this process cease? If at all?

  IIRC the Universe only expands (ie. new space is formed) at intergalactic
space, not inside galaxies. The gravity of galaxies is high enough to stop
(or at least greatly diminish) expansion from happening inside them.

> If it does, then, since essentially *everything* expands equally

  Everything does *not* expand equally. Gravity works against the expansion,
slowing it down (if not even stopping it completely), AFAIK.

--
                                                          - Warp