POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Glass reflection : Re: Glass reflection Server Time
4 Jul 2024 14:07:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass reflection
From: Alain
Date: 18 Nov 2010 22:57:17
Message: <4ce5f59d$1@news.povray.org>

> Hello, I'm stuck on a problem concerning the reflection of objects which use
> either the basic povray "Glass" texture or a custom one.
>
> here are four pictures to describe the problem :
> http://img690.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=vitre2.png
>
> The camera is located inside a house (and is looking outside).
>
> As you can see on the first 2 pictures (one with the custom glass, the other one
> with the basic glass), we can see the street by the left window, but through the
> other window, there is like a bug that makes it behave like a perfect mirror on
> the left part of it( I'm not sure about that).
> The third picture shows that this problems depends on the angle between the
> camera and the window. The problems doesn't appear if you look at the window
> directly (last picture).
> I insist on the fact that it happens for all the windows in the street, it only
> depends on the angle.
>
> Please don't ask about how the windows are constructed, there can't be a problem
> with that because there are all built with the same macro which places
> window-panes and this macro works perfectly if you look at it directly.
>
> This is the code for the custom glass texture (which is not mine):
>
> #declare Window_Glass =
> texture{
>    pigment{ rgbf<0.98,0.98,0.98,0.8>}
>      finish {
>      specular 0.7
>      roughness 0.001
>      ambient 0
>      diffuse 0
>      reflection {
>        0.2, 1.0
>        fresnel on
>      }
>      conserve_energy
>    }
> } // end of texture
>
> If dosen't really matter if this texture is good or not, the problem occurs with
> the basic Glass texture too.
>
> I hope you understand the problem, I don't know if this is normal but I haven't
> found a topic about that. Thank you for your replies.

Apparently, your glass "pane" extend everywhere inside the room!
Any message about the camera been unside a non hollow object?

The glass obviously have an ior, and when the angle is broad enough,

A strong clue to that is the curved nature of the reflective part and
the relfection that also affect the second window viewed in the reflection.

Alain