POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about the Big Bang : Re: Question about the Big Bang Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about the Big Bang
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Nov 2010 22:46:14
Message: <4ce5f306@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> Hmm, don't understand that. You mean, because of the 'set' attractive/repulsive
> forces between electrons and nucleus?

I think you're going way beyond what I know. But I'm happy to BS for a
while. ;-)

Electrons like to be a certain size, as provided for in their wavelength.
(and by "size" I refer to the amplitude (i.e., probability) cloud.)  So you
can add a tiny bit of space, and the electron will "shrink" in return, just
like if you had two balls with a spring between them and you slowly slid the
two halves of the floor apart, the spring would pull the balls back together.

OK, I'm officially not knowing what I'm talking about. But that's what I
understood - the mutual attractions between things close enough that the
expansion of space in the middle (gravity or QED) is what holds smaller
things together even as the bigger things spread apart.

> Agreed. (The idea of 'point-like' masses--with no spatial extension--is itself a
> strange one!)

Well, that's why I clarified that's what the *math* says. Who knows the
"reality" of it?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: