POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Echoes from the past : Re: Echoes from the past Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Echoes from the past
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Nov 2010 11:26:45
Message: <4ce553c5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I think it would cause security problems if a userland program could turn
> off interrupts, even if for a limited period of time.

I can't really think what kind of problems it would cause if it was limited
to a certain number of cycles and the system was written knowing the CPU had
that capability. I mean, it normally takes dozens if not hundreds of cycles
to handle an interrupt.

Of course, you'd probably want it to only be able to turn off the lower
priority interrupts.

>   Besides, most/all CPU designs (especially Intel's) have always supported
> multiprocessor setups, so having to support true multitasking has always
> been there.

I had this thought back when I was working on computers with actual core.
I'm not even sure Intel existed as a company at that point. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: