POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Echoes from the past : Re: Echoes from the past Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Echoes from the past
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Nov 2010 18:59:25
Message: <4ce46c5d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> have to be multithreaded:

They don't *have* to be, but it's certainly a lot easier, especially in
languages where handling event loops is problematic (like those without
closures or whatever).

>   This efficient locking problem

I always wondered why nobody makes a CPU with a non-privileged instruction
that says something like "turn off interrupts for the next N instructions",
where N < 8 or so. Then you wouldn't need "test-and-set" or atomic writes or
any of that sort of specialized instructions.

Of course, I guess the time for that idea has come and gone with the rise of
multicore machines where interrupts aren't the only thing you have to lock.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: