POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : text paths? : Re: text paths? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: text paths?
From: Alain
Date: 17 Nov 2010 13:39:04
Message: <4ce42148@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible in POV-Ray to get to the paths used in text ttf objects?
> Can I easily make a wireframe letter, for example?
>
> Or do I have to dig into the ttf font and convert the data there into
> something by hand (or by script more accurately)?
>
>      tom

A ttf is effectively a bezier spline forming the leters. What POV-Ray
does is to use that spline and extrude it along the Z axis to give a prism.

You can't easily turn it into a wireframe. There is just no provision
for that. In fact, outside a few primitives (mesh, mesh2, height_field
and bicubic_patch) POV-Ray never use a mesh or whireframe.

You may dig into the ttf. It's not trivial and version 3.6 may not be
able to do it at all.

Alain