POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting problem,please help : Re: Lighting problem,please help Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting problem,please help
From: Alain
Date: 17 Nov 2010 12:48:58
Message: <4ce4158a$1@news.povray.org>

> Christian Froeschlin<chr### [at] chrfrde>  wrote:
>> Anthony D. Baye wrote:
>>
>>> Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
>>
>> It would be helpful if you could post a small sample scene.
>
> basically:
>
> #include "metals.inc"
>
> light_source { 0.0 rgb 1 }
>
> media {
>      intervals 40
>      scattering { 3, White*0.00001 }
>      samples 30, 50
>      }
>
> difference {
>      sphere { 0.0, 12.0 }
>      sphere { 0.0, 11.625 texture { T_Chrome_5E } }
>          texture { T_Chrome_3B }
>      }
>
> that's the gist of it.  The universal media whites out, even though the light is
> inside the sphere.
>
> A.D.B.

You need to change your media as follow:
media {
     intervals 1 // Default value, this line can be removed.
     scattering { 3, White*0.00001 }
     samples 120 // Only the first value is ever used.
// any second samples value is always ignored.
     }

This gives you the same number of samples but renders MUCH faster.

Alain