POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting problem,please help : Re: Lighting problem,please help Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting problem,please help
From: Alain
Date: 16 Nov 2010 14:01:32
Message: <4ce2d50c@news.povray.org>

> "Kenneth"<kdw### [at] earthlinknet>  wrote:
>> Sorry to ask naive, simpleton questions from the get-go, but I'm just trying to
>> get a handle on the problem.
>>
>> Which version of POV-Ray are you using?
>>
>> Are you using scattering media? Not emission media, hopefully. ;-)
>>
>> Are you sure the light is inside the sphere? (Believe me, I've had *that*
>> problem before, thinking the light is at one place when it's at another; I have
>> to resort to a looks_like sphere to locate it!)
>>
>> If you remove any/all CSG *and* give the sphere just a simple pigment, does the
>> problem still occur?
>
> I'm currently running beta 39 in Ubuntu.  I am using a simple scattering media,
> 40 intervals, scattering { 3, White*10^-obsceneNumber } samples 30, 50
>
> I did notice that pov crashes with an out of memory error if I use 400 intervals
>
> I am certain the light source is inside the sphere, though I have not tried
> removing the csg.
>
> This is not a new problem.  I've experienced similar difficulties in the past
> with light sources inside csg objects.
>
> A.D.B.

Only use a single interval: don't change intervals from it's default
value of 1.
Change the samples value, and only that value.
That way, it's MUCH faster!

Is your sphere set as no_shadow?
Do you use a looks_like for your sphere? In that case, the sphere is
automaticaly no_shadow.

Be sure that you use an union of your light and the containing object.

Alain