POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coders vs Programmers : Re: Coders vs Programmers Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coders vs Programmers
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Nov 2010 18:11:37
Message: <4ce1be29@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> For example, a coder will add logging to their server code that tells them
>> what the server is doing.  A programmer will add logging to their server
>> code that tells customer service what the server is doing.  :-)
>
>   Are you using "coder" as a synonym for something like "hacker"?

No.  A coder is someone who knows how to write code, but doesn't know how to
build an overall program. I used the term earlier here but I couldn't
remember where, so I didn't go look it up.

Coders are the people who say "I don't need to document my library, because
the code *is* the documentation."  Or "here's documentation of all the
routines, but no documentation on the required order to call them, or what
happens when there's an error, or ..."

You get the coder vs programmer distinction in all fields, tho, as far as I
can tell.  For example, in retail, it's the difference between "cashier" and
"salesman".

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: