POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mini-languages : Re: Mini-languages Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mini-languages
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Nov 2010 18:04:59
Message: <4ce1bc9b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   Basically, preprocessor macro expansion should never create new tokens
>>> unless the token pasting operator (##) is explicitly used to do so. However,
>>> Microsoft's C preprocessor doesn't take this into account at all.
>
>> I see. I can see where that would (A) really annoy and confuse people
>> expecting the standard behavior and (B) would really annoy people who relied
>> on it if it got changed. :-) All the more reason to make sure stuff works
>> before releasing it.
>
>   I have really hard time believing that they aren't fixing it because they
> don't want to break existing programs.

Well, there's always the possibility that they just don't find it
economically worthwhile. But yeah, you'd be surprised at what existing
programs rely on, bugwise. :-) I *don't* think it's because they can't
figure out how to fix it. I think it's an intentional business decision, for
whatever reason, not a "our compiler writer guys can't figure out how to fix
this."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: