POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dettol protects: Fact? : Dettol protects: Fact? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Dettol protects: Fact?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Nov 2010 13:06:09
Message: <4ce02511$1@news.povray.org>
"Fact: Germs [including the flu virus] can live on surfaces for up to
two days.

Fact: Dettol kills 99.9% of gems, including the flu virus."

Uh, yeah, erm...

Fact: Dettol kills 99.9% of bacteria. As does vineger, bleack, salt
water, soap, alcohol, and actually just about anything with an
osmolarity different from fresh water. :-P

Fact: Virii are not "alive" in the first place, so it is not possible to
"kill" them.

It does irritate me when commercial entities pray on public anxiety and
ignorance to try to peddle their wares.

And it /really/ irritates me when they pretend to be all scientific.
Seen any beauty products lately? Skin moisturisers have existed for over
a century, and they're all basically a specific mixture of water and
various oils. And yet, if you watch TV you see stuff like "Loreal
Age-Reperfect(tm) derma-active(r) hydro-therapy(tm)". All of which
/sounds/ really impressive and sciency, but is actually empty marketing
gibberish.

On reflection, maybe the problem isn't that commercial entities try to
exploit people. Maybe it's that the general populus are stupid enough to
not see though this...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/