POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mini-languages : Re: Mini-languages Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mini-languages
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Nov 2010 21:37:44
Message: <4cddf9f8@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> If a state machine is a good way to solve your problem, why not express
> it clearly? And why limit it to only operating on characters?

It is clearly expressed, and it's not limited to only operating on
characters.  What can I say?

> ...so, basically Unix text-mangling tools then?

No. Most anything working with text.

>> Pretty much every programming language since COBOL
>
> Really. Because your list seems to include only low-level scripting
> languages. I don't see regexs in Pascal, C, Eiffel, etc.

Libraries, dear. Few languages have them built into the syntax.

>> Let me list a few of the programs that support the parser you prefer:
>>
>> Haskell
>
> I'm pretty sure that Haskell is not the only programming language that
> offers real parser construction tools. Parsec is merely an example of
> such.

Sure. And the other languages have real parser tools too.  Bison, for
example, if nothing else.

>> So, yeah, the fact that your education sucks doesn't mean bupkiss about
>> what actually goes on in the real world. :-)
>
> Right. Because Unix text-mangling is all that happens in "the real
> world", naturally...

No, because it's used much more widely, yet you've never seen it.  Every
state machine is a regular expression matcher. Those pictures of state
transitions in TCP? Regular expressions.  The "railroad track" diagrams in
the Pascal standard? Regular expressions.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: