POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mini-languages : Re: Mini-languages Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mini-languages
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Nov 2010 11:11:56
Message: <4cdd674c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> The basics of mathematical notation are so ubiquitous throughout the
> Western world

And the basics of regexp notation is mathematical. As well as being
ubiquitous throughout the programming world. Which is why we're equating the
two.

> Anyone who's used a computer for a length of time is probably familiar
> with "*" as a wildcard character, so that's not too bad.

And where do you think the "*" meaning "wildcard" came from?

> It's the other characters which are less self-evident.

I'm sure you'd find quite a few mathematicians being confused by
    6 = 2 * 3
    2 = 6 / 3
which is why APL used an actual multiplication and division sign.

>(Plus the fact that "*" is
> actually a prefix operator, which I hadn't realised.)

No it isn't.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: