POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Omniscience : Re: Omniscience Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omniscience
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 11 Nov 2010 16:46:29
Message: <4cdc6435$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/11/2010 1:23 PM, Darren New wrote:

>> How so? I only see an obvious argument like that for a particular sort
>> of omnipotent God, rather than a merely omniscient one.
>
> If God is omniscient, then he knows whether every program will halt or not.

Sure, but I don't see how that's a logical contradiction.  All it means
is that God has abilities/knowledge that are non-algorithmic (an
assertion I'm sure would be agreed with by almost any theist).  It's
still possible to logically reason to a degree about things which are
non-computable, and certainly no logical contradiction in asserting the
existence (at least in a Platonic sense) of things which aren't computable.

The furthest I can see your argument being pushed would be to limit the
sort of reasoning we can apply when talking about God, where it implies
that we can't know *everything* about God through logic, but I don't see
how it implies that we can't know *anything*, or that the sort of
omniscience you describe is incompatible with logic.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the point you are making?