POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Omniscience : Re: Omniscience Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omniscience
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 11 Nov 2010 16:10:22
Message: <4cdc5bbe$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/11/2010 12:34 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> As a sort of philosophical point,
>
> It actually came up during an argument someone was making, pointing out
> that an omniscient god is contradictory to free will.

To the best of my knowledge this argument was first dealt with (IIRC) by
St. Augustine.  The analogy with the way in that that my knowledge of
your *past* actions doesn't mean that they weren't made freely.  If
you're willing at accept a view of God existing outside of time, then it
doesn't seem to unreasonable to also posit that God's knowledge doesn't
conflict with free will in much the same way.

It's been a while since I heard the argument though, so I'm probably
missing some elements.

> an omniscient god is contradictory to logic at all

How so?  I only see an obvious argument like that for a particular sort
of omnipotent God, rather than a merely omniscient one.