POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Problem with new focal blur noise pattern and animations : Re: Problem with new focal blur noise pattern and animations Server Time
28 Sep 2024 14:59:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with new focal blur noise pattern and animations
From: clipka
Date: 11 Nov 2010 12:24:44
Message: <4cdc26dc$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.11.2010 14:42, schrieb Tek:
> It seems like the "random" samples for focal blur are now the same on every
> frame of an animation. Is there any way to randomize it per frame?
>
> I don't mind a bit of noise but if it's not moving it looks like I'm viewing the
> scene through a distorted pane of glass. I'm pretty sure it didn't used to have
> this problem (though admittedly I don't often use blur in animations).

Using the very same focal blur sample sequence for all frames of an
animation is by design, not by error; I'm pretty sure both earlier 3.7
betas and 3.6 did the same (they used a pseudo-RNG instead of a Halton
sequence, but unless I'm totally mistaken they started the PRNG all over
again with the very same seed for each frame). There appears to be
consensus among the POV-Ray animators that static noise should be
favored over dynamic noise.