POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mini-languages : Re: Mini-languages Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mini-languages
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Nov 2010 11:16:28
Message: <4cdc16dc$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/11/2010 03:52 PM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> Actually, I found a rather interesting description of the history of
>> Unix the other day. I'll have to see if I can find it again. As you read
>> it, you discover that many design decisions that look stupid are in fact
>> merely obsolete. They served a purpose 60 years ago, it's just that they
>> aren't the best choice any more.
>
>    That would be quite strange, given that Unix was originally developed
> 41 years ago.

How do you know all these things?

>> These days, the fashion seems to be for everything from print servers to
>> network hubs to be controlled by HTML over HTTP. Which is equally
>> stupid, but looks more pretty...
>
>    Well, it has the advantage that it's still relatively low-bandwidth and
> usable with any web browser in any system, and you can do things with the
> mouse.
>
>    Of course the downside is that you need something that can run a web
> browser.

You need something that supports HTTP, HTML, JavaScript, the DOM, and
[typically] supports these things with all the same glitches and bugs as
Internet Explorer 4.5 >_<

What's that? You wanted to reconfigure all your print servers from a
script? Good luck with that...