POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Time is not free : Re: Time is not free Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:11:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time is not free
From: Warp
Date: 11 Nov 2010 11:02:14
Message: <4cdc1386@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> - We might finally get concurrent GC too.
> >
> > amazing news, huh?
> >
> > concurrent GC is almost as hard as solving a halting problem... ;p

> Have *you* tried it? :-P

> Seriously, analysing the structure of a huge chunk of data while it's
> still being modified is no picnic.

  If Haskell requires a garbage collector, it means that objects are not
strictly scope-bound (in other words, objects can outlive the scope where
they were creted, rather than being automatically destroyed when the scope
ends). This, consequently, means that objects are not handled by value, but
by reference (or pointer, or whatever you want to call it), which is a
requirement if you want to share the same object with more than one other
object. I know next to nothing about Haskell, but the little I have seen
doesn't look like it would be reference-based code. It *looks* to me like
everything is handled by value.

  Could give a simple example which demonstrates the need for a GC?

--
                                                          - Warp