POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Time is not free : Re: Time is not free Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time is not free
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Nov 2010 10:43:50
Message: <4cdc0f36$1@news.povray.org>
>> - We might finally get concurrent GC too.
>
> amazing news, huh?
>
> concurrent GC is almost as hard as solving a halting problem... ;p

Have *you* tried it? :-P

Seriously, analysing the structure of a huge chunk of data while it's
still being modified is no picnic.

>> - Microsoft Research is funding further development of Haskell's
>> parallel capabilities. (!) There's some talk of an MPI binding.
>
> that SPJ guy sure has some ballz.

I said MSR is funding it. I didn't say why. It might be nothing to do
with SPJ. There /are/ other people getting paid to use Haskell, you
know. ;-)

>> + There's a big long paper about The Reduceron. It's basically an FPGA
>> processor for running Haskell (or something like it).
>
> whoa!
>
> how about an OpenCL port. ;)

Oh, I gather somebody's doing that for their PhD thesis...

But still, modern CPUs are especially designed for the way normal
programs work. Functional programs work in a totally different way;
maybe by designing the hardware differently, it can go faster? It's
worth at least trying it out to see how it goes.