POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mini-languages : Re: Mini-languages Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:14:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mini-languages
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Nov 2010 04:54:02
Message: <4cdbbd3a$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/11/2010 10:07 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> I've always thought that manpages and the ugliest, lamest, most
>> archaic thing ever, so I don't see that that's much of an advantage.
>
> Oh, wait. Aren't you the one that goes on about LaTeX and Postscript?
> :-) I'm not sure what you have against a text-based program for
> generating typeset output.

TeX, PostScript, HTML, it's all good.

I'm just saying that the finished product looks awful.

The reason I put up with TeX, in spite of its innumerable and obvious
limitations, is that it produces very, very nice output. troff doesn't
seem to compare to that.

> Plus, they didn't produce stuff on screen. This is hardcopy land.
> Screens were advanced stuff. :-)

Apparently that's also why all Unix commands fail to offer even the most
basic feedback as to what's happening, unless something actually goes
wrong. It's to save paper.

So really, Unix invented environmentalism, 60 years ahead of the rest of
Western civilisation. :-P