POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mini-languages : Re: Mini-languages Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mini-languages
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Nov 2010 04:30:15
Message: <4cdbb7a7$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yes, I've used SSH myself. It's quite neat that I can have an old 386
>> laptop sitting in a cupboard somewhere and operate it basically as if
>> I was sitting in front of it. On the other hand, would it be so hard
>> to do so with a less primitive interface?
>
> it's strange that I guy used to programming languages feels awkward
> about a text interface.

No, it feels awkward when you sit at a text terminal that's using ANSI
escape codes to generate colours and block graphics characters to "draw"
a "graphical" user interface. I mean, why not just have a /real/
graphical user interface?

> Notepad in all its glorious graphical user
> interface is much more featureless and rudimentar than vi on an old Unix
> terminal.

Sure. But that's because Notepad sucks beyond belief. ;-)

I'm not arguing that the CLI is useless. I'm arguing that ASCII-art
"graphical" UIs are silly.