POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Text array problem : Re: Text array problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Text array problem
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 9 Nov 2010 03:49:47
Message: <4cd90b2b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 08/11/2010 20:14, Anthony D. Baye a écrit :
> Well, I feel foolish... For some reason I had charset sys in global settings...
>
> On another note, I was under the impression that pov auto-detected system fonts
> since version 3.1 or something...  I keep having to specify a directory and an
> exact file name...
>
> am I doing something wrong?
>
> I currently do all my rendering in Ubuntu.

Nothing wrong from your part.
Povray starts with a few default fonts' directories, according to the
system you are on, in the system & user default configuration files or
registry....

On Windows, all installed fonts in the system are in a single directory
(something like c:\WINDOWS\Fonts, but location can vary), so a single +L
in the configuration file is enough. (it's just a big mess to manage:
here just 612 files in that one!)
And Windows had an history of ignoring case of filename (fat32 did not
support them, and default to NTFS is only a recent move in term of
casual user's windows' generation), so most opening routine files in
windows will try to ignore the case of the characters in a file name.

On Ubuntu, the truetype fonts are in /usr/share/fonts/truetype and
usually then in a subdirectory (so each package does not have to resolve
conflict when it installs a set of fonts).
And to make things less easier, whereas in Windows install the
pvengine.ini has a %FONTDIR% in the input paths, there is no such
provision during the povray installation
(/usr/local/etc/povray/3.7/povray.ini for 3.7beta), so a Unix
installation ends up without any path to fonts by default.

(Ubuntu puts fonts in /usr/share/fonts, but that's not yet universal for
all unix)

And unix has a tradition of distinguishing case in filename (due to the
various filesystems doing that from a long time), so the name must match.

Best fix for you: add the many fonts directory in your povray.ini (as
+L= .... ) (either at the system level, or in $HOME/.povray/... ), and
take care of the case of font's filename in your script.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.<br/>
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?<br/>