POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I just so love Feynman : Re: I just so love Feynman Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I just so love Feynman
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Nov 2010 01:26:41
Message: <4cd8e9a1$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> Could be - I never studied QED. However, it's not plain old
> electromagnetics.

OK. I don't know the difference between QED and electromagnetics. I thought
"electromagnetic" was the pre-quantum formulation of electrical and magnetic
field interactions, i.e., the interaction of electrons with photons.

 > What Dyson showed was that the electromagnetic
> interactions between/among nuclei and electrons is not sufficient to
> explain the volume of matter - it would be smaller without the exclusion
> principle.

That seems obvious to me. :-) Clearly I'm not educated enough to understand
why that's surprising.

> One aspect that keeps particles apart is the exchange interaction, which
> is purely due to quantum mechanics (i.e. not, AFAIK, related to
> electromagnetics). This was one of those oddities of the quantum world
> in undergrad quantum mechanics - that two such particles would prefer to
> stay apart even though there is no actual force interaction between them
> (even for uncharged particles).

I understand the math of why they try to stay apart. I'll have to re-read
the bit that talks about that and see if I can understand what leads to the
math.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: