POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I just so love Feynman : Re: I just so love Feynman Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I just so love Feynman
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Nov 2010 00:02:22
Message: <4cd7845e$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:
>
>> Note, again, this is all my layman understanding.
>>
>> Warp wrote:
>>>   Does that mean that the reason why objects can't pass through each other
>>> is fundamentally electromagnetic?
>> Yes. There's only four forces: gravity, electomagnetic (aka
>
> Freeman Dyson say no:
>
> "A seminal work by Dyson came in 1966 when, together with Andrew Lenard
> and independently of Elliott H. Lieb and Walter Thirring, he proved
> rigorously that the exclusion principle plays the main role in the
> stability of bulk matter.[13] Hence, it is not the electromagnetic
> repulsion between electrons and nuclei that is responsible for two wood
> blocks that are left on top of each other not coalescing into a single
> piece, but rather it is the exclusion principle applied to electrons and
> protons that generates the classical macroscopic normal force. In
> condensed matter physics"

 From what I understand, the exclusion principle is a result of the quantum
electrodynamic theory, which is what used to be called "electromagnetic
theory" before it was quantum.  I.e., it's the same math going on, with
photons interacting with electrons and etc.  Clearly I'm not capable of
talking about it at this level. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: