POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I just so love Feynman : Re: I just so love Feynman Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I just so love Feynman
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Nov 2010 18:11:55
Message: <4cd7323b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   So this is the reason why when you shoot a lone neutron towards an object,
> it will (usually) go right through as if there was nothing there (except in
> the odd cases where it just happens to collide with a nucleus, as there are
> quite many of them there, in which case it's deviated or even reflected),
> because neutrons are electromagnetically neutral and thus don't interact
> with the electrons and protons?

That's my understanding of the basics of it, yes. "Charge" is basically the
probability that any given photon will be emitted or absorbed by another
particle. A charge of "1" (plus or minus) means you have about one chance in
137 of a particular photon interacting with a particular electron at any
particular instant they meet.  Nobody knows where that number comes from.

> Moreso with neutrinos, which are like
> neutrons but a lot smaller (so a lot less chances of colliding with
> something in there).

That I don't know about.

>   Btw, I don't remember now what happens if you shoot a lone proton towards
> an object. As it's electrically charged, it ought to interact with the
> object immediately, if I understand correctly. But what happens?

Yes, but it's so much bigger than an electron that it can knock an electron
out of orbit (i.e., it can affect an electron with so many photons that the
electron's attraction to the electron's associated nucleus is basically
overwhelmed) without losing much of its own momentum. So it tends to go
quite some way if it's moving quickly, but with the charge it tends to stop
quickly once it slows down (compared to neutrons), in part because it'll
pick up an electron of its own, turn into a hydrogen atom, and now be much
closer to the size of other atoms instead of the size of a nucleus.

In other words, yes, it interacts with (mostly) the electrons and possibly
the protons if it happens to get close, but mostly by smashing through the
substance you're shooting them at if they're going fast.  Electrons, on the
other hand, will run into other electrons and stop quickly, no matter how
fast they're going, because each interaction will on average result in two
electrons with half the momentum (and shooting off a bunch of photons in the
process, which is where you get x-ray machines and CRTs and such). A proton
is some 2000x as heavy, so it can go a lot farther before it stops.

That's why gamma radiation (high-energy photons) takes thick lead to stop,
x-rays (slightly less energetic) takes thin lead to stop, beta radiation
(high-energy electrons) takes a few millimeters of lighter metal to stop,
and alpha radiation (basically helium nuclei) takes like a piece of paper to
stop.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: