POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I just so love Feynman : Re: I just so love Feynman Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I just so love Feynman
From: Warp
Date: 7 Nov 2010 13:31:33
Message: <4cd6f084@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   I still don't quite get it. Well, I suppose I will have to submit to the
> > fact that I have never understood it, and I still don't understand it.

> Well, I'm certainly no Feynman, but you could say all the "gaps" you think
> are there are actually full of photons.

  Does that mean that the reason why objects can't pass through each other
is fundamentally electromagnetic?

  A photon is the basic unit (quantum) of electromagnetic radiation and
although it has no mass, it's also the force carrier of electromagnetic
force. But how exactly does this work in this situation? What forces are
acting what?

  Additionally, photons have a frequency. If the gaps are full of photons,
what produces them. what is the frequency of these photons and why?

> The photons last only a very brief time.

  Where do they disappear to, and why? Certainly their energy has to go
somewhere, it cannot simply disappear.

> When the electrons from one atom are close enough to the other that
> the photon has time to go between, they interact.

  Why doesn't this happen with electrons orbiting the same atom?

  If the repulsive force of the photons produced by electrons is so strong
as to completely forbid two atoms from passing through each other, why are
the electrons in one atom exempt from this same repulsion force?

--
                                                          - Warp