POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What is the Universe made of? : Re: What is the Universe made of? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the Universe made of?
From: Warp
Date: 5 Nov 2010 18:01:30
Message: <4cd47eba@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> The notion of a black hole being a singularity is probably a violation
> of QM, although I am inclined to believe that this is not the case.  But
> the fact that information cannot be retrieved (as from a black hole,
> once the media has passed within the event horizon) by no means implies
> that the information is destroyed.  Sort of like my personnel records in
> the military.  For a brief time nobody could find them, but they still
> existed.

  The so-called "no-hair theorem" is related to exactly that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-hair_theorem

  Famously Stephen Hawking lost a bet because of changing his opinion on
whether the information is permanently lost in a black hole or not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorne%E2%80%93Hawking%E2%80%93Preskill_bet

--
                                                          - Warp