POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mini-languages : Re: Mini-languages Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mini-languages
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Nov 2010 16:03:54
Message: <4cd4632a$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've always thought that manpages and the ugliest, lamest, most archaic
>> thing ever, so I don't see that that's much of an advantage.
>
>    If you have to read a manual through a VT100 terminal, what would you
> suggest as a better alternative?

Well, yes. But people say "the Amiga is associated with a strong
tradition of graphics work", and that's because it had really ace
software /and hardware/. So when somebody says "typesetting is /the/
killer application for Unix", you don't expect some ugly archaic looking
text-only interface...

>    (And yes, even *today* people still need sometimes do things through
> ancient terminal emulation. Usually today the connection is encrypted
> (ever heard of ssh?) unlike in the early days, but it's still the same
> thing.)

Yes, I've used SSH myself. It's quite neat that I can have an old 386
laptop sitting in a cupboard somewhere and operate it basically as if I
was sitting in front of it. On the other hand, would it be so hard to do
so with a less primitive interface? (I suppose I should have installed X...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/