POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That Friday feeling : Re: That Friday feeling Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:11:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That Friday feeling
From: Invisible
Date: 5 Nov 2010 12:32:36
Message: <4cd431a4$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/11/2010 03:59 PM, Warp wrote:

>    Why is C not considered a "high level language" anylonger, given that
> once it was?
>
>    AFAIK originally the idea with a "high level language" was a language which
> abstracts away the machine code completely, allowing the same program to be
> compiled for completely different and unrelated processor architectures.

As I understand it, originally almost /everything/ was written in
machine code, by hand. Compared to that, C is a very, very high-level
language.

Today I can write programs in languages that are so high-level that they
sometimes don't even look like they should be executable. They almost
look like pseudo-code.

I guess that's the difference.

(And no, you can't objectively measure such a thing.)