POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What is the Universe made of? : Re: What is the Universe made of? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the Universe made of?
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Nov 2010 12:57:55
Message: <4cd2e613$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   If it exists and it can be created and destroyed, that makes it distinct
> from energy, which cannot be created nor destroyed.

It can be distinct from energy and yet still be made from energy, just like
sound isn't air but it's made from air.

I'll grant you that "information" in the sense of "patterns of combinations
of something else" does "exist". I'm not sure you can say something is "made
out of" information, or that "information" would exist without the substrate
carrying it.

And I'm still not convinced you can actually destroy information. At the
quantum level, time is reversible, which means that information at that
level does *not* get destroyed.  From lots of things I've read, figuring out
how you can have black holes and QM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_information_paradox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bekenstein_bound

--