POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What is the Universe made of? : Re: What is the Universe made of? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:29:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the Universe made of?
From: scott
Date: 4 Nov 2010 12:34:33
Message: <4cd2e099$1@news.povray.org>
> If it exists, the it's part of this
> universe, in other words, it's one component of the universe.

Sure, everything that exists can be called a component of the universe, but
it doesn't automatically mean that there are existing certain components
that cannot be made from energy.

>  If it exists and it can be created and destroyed, that makes it distinct
> from energy, which cannot be created nor destroyed.

How about arrangements of energy?  They can be created and destroyed, yet
are still just energy in the end.

>> >  Hence there exists at least two different things in the universe:
>> > Energy and information, and they are not the same thing.
>
>> Cars also exist, and they are not the same as energy or information
>
>  On what do you base the claim that they are not information?

There's an important difference to what I said and you claimed I said.

Birds are animals, but "bird" has a different meaning to "animal".
Cars could be considered "information", but a "car" is different to
"information".
Cars are made from atoms, but a car is most certainly different to an atom.

My point is that information is just specific patterns of energy. I know
"energy" and "information" have different meanings and refer to different
things, but that doesn't mean information must be made up of something other
than energy.