POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What is the Universe made of? : Re: What is the Universe made of? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the Universe made of?
From: Warp
Date: 4 Nov 2010 11:13:43
Message: <4cd2cda6@news.povray.org>
> >   The third thing I postulated that exists, and which is neither energy
> > nor information, is timespace. You would agree that timespace exists.

> My understanding is that spacetime (aka timespace ;-) doesn't actually
> exist, and the lack of its existence is the difference between SR and GR. If
> you reformulate special relativity in such a way that you don't have a
> "background" coordinate system but only the interactions between what's
> there, you get GR.  (I may be misunderstanding this, tho.)

  Time must exist, or else it would be impossible to postulate essential
properties of physics such as the second law of thermodynamics. (In fact,
the concept of a closed system "going forward in time" is completely
equivalent to its entropy increasing; the two things are tied together.
You can unambiguously distinguish if a closed system is going forward in
time by measuring its entropy.)

  Space must exist, or else it would be impossible to postulate essential
properties of physics, such as the Pauli exclusion principle. (How could
you state that two particles cannot be at the same *place* at the same
time if the very concept of "place" wouldn't exist?)

  Just because space and time are relative doesn't mean they don't exist.

--
                                                          - Warp