POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What is the Universe made of? : Re: What is the Universe made of? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:29:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the Universe made of?
From: scott
Date: 4 Nov 2010 07:28:55
Message: <4cd298f7$1@news.povray.org>
>  Would you agree that the information portrayed by the text exists?

Yes, it exists and it's made up of atoms.  The atoms can either be part of
ink on the paper, transistors in a computer, or neurons in an animal brain.
It's like saying "happyness" exists, it only exists conceptually, physically
it's just represented by atoms.

>  Also, if information exists, it cannot be the same thing as energy
> because information can be created and destroyed

Cars exist, and they can be created and destroyed, so cars cannot be the
same thing as energy.  I don't get your point.

>  Hence there exists at least two different things in the universe:
> Energy and information, and they are not the same thing.

Cars also exist, and they are not the same as energy or information, so we
have at least three different things.  I'm not convinced by your logic
here...