POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation : Re: An observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An observation
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 3 Nov 2010 13:52:12
Message: <4cd1a14c$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/3/2010 11:19 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> Well, the essential point was risk reduction. Sure, you *can* reverse
>>> engineer it. Now tell me how long it'll take, with the same accuracy
>>> with which I can predict how long it'll take to buy a copy of Windows.
>>>

>> Hmm, thousands of dollars in programming hours, and the risk that you
>> get something critical wrong or, $75 per machine for a license.
>
> While these arguments seem sound, it still doesn't really address the
> whole "you don't need an entire desktop OS just to run a trivial
> embedded device like an ATM" angle.

ATM's aren't exactly trivial. But, then they also have existed for years
with their own OS, no embedded Windows, but now they want to display
glitzy advertisements while you pull your money out.

I'll never forget the time I used an ATM machine, and as it was
processing the transaction I hears several of the characteristic IE link
click sounds as it finished up.. that was a bit worrying.

> Although, if our old dishwasher was running Windows, I guess that would
> explain why it eventually stopped working. :-P

It does. You forgot to install the latest security update. Good luck
reinstalling windows on that. :D

--
~Mike