POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An observation : Re: An observation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An observation
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 3 Nov 2010 11:29:30
Message: <4cd17fda@news.povray.org>
On 11/3/2010 10:14 AM, Darren New wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>> Obviously there must be some sort of protocol, and the device's
>> firmware probably only communicates the bare minimum to work with the
>> host.
>
> Well, the essential point was risk reduction. Sure, you *can* reverse
> engineer it. Now tell me how long it'll take, with the same accuracy
> with which I can predict how long it'll take to buy a copy of Windows.

Hmm, thousands of dollars in programming hours, and the risk that you
get something critical wrong or, $75 per machine for a license.

Might make sense if you plan on manufacturing a huge amount of machines.
Even then, is it worth loss of revenue or risking a lawsuit because the
device malfunctioned, and the malfunction would have been easily avoided
had you used the libraries under windows?

Also, Time to market.... You have something cutting edge, and it takes
several more months to develop because you don't want to pay for a
Windows license. and you miss a window of opportunity. Not good.

--
~Mike