POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Land of Lisp : Re: Land of Lisp Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Land of Lisp
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Nov 2010 11:17:25
Message: <4cd17d05$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I take it you haven't heard the expression "if it compiles, it usually
> works correctly" then?

That happens with me,b ut that's because I have 30 years experience.

As I say, I almost never have that sort of typo.

>> I'm not saying dynamic languages are superior. I'm simply saying that
>> when you're used to using dynamic languages, the "you got the wrong
>> type" is really a rare problem.
>
> I've always preferred statically-typed languages. They catch so much
> more of the type of bugs I tend to write. With an inflexible type system
> like Java, I can understand people being exasperated by it and wanting
> to use a dynamically-typed language instead. But really, the benefits of
> static typing vastly outweigh the drawbacks.

I'm not disagreeing.

>>> You're aware that C# and Java are interpretted languages, right?
>>
>> No they're not. No more than the ability to load a DLL means that C is
>> an interpreted language.
>
> Right. And the fact that it runs on top of a VM doesn't count because...?

Because the VM compiles them to machine code before it runs, and the VM it
runs on top of is statically typed, strongly checked, and not unlike a CPU
in architecture.

> Uhuh. And so when you install the .NET "runtime", and it spends 45
> minutes running "ngen.exe", "native code generator", that doesn't count
> as "running the compiler" because...?

It's translating CIL into machine code for your specific machine. It's
basically pre-JITting your libraries.

I'm not sure how you can decide that NGEN is a compiler, then tell me that
C# isn't compiled because it runs on top of a VM.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: